Friday, July 15, 2011

The Curved Wall

Scotty trailers had a beautiful curved wall in them that formed the closet.  I tore mine out. I had to rebuild it but I didn't have a clue how to do it. Veneer was too thin and 1/8th inch luan does not like to be bent 90 degrees.  I had read where you can "kerf" a piece of wood to make it bend so that was my plan.  Kerfing is where you make multiple vertical scores in a piece of wood about 75% thru it's thickness.  The closer you place these grooves to each other the easier the wood will bend.  The deeper you go with the grooves the easier it is to bend.  Mind you, I only had 1/8th of an inch to work with here.  I was hesitant but I found that my dremel tool had a perfect bit size and I could set the depth to about 75% like I needed.  I set up a guide using two wood clamps and a straight board.  Here is a picture of the dremel and bit.

Then I proceeded to TEDIOUSLY and SLOWLY make about 60 some odd grooves where the piece of wood would need to bend the most.  It took a long time.  My neck started hurting.  My fingers went numb from the vibrations. I took lots of breaks but finally got it done. 

When I went to mount the thing....IT BROKE!  I should have done about 20 more grooves but I got impatient and paid the price.  Oh well.  Here's to PLAN B!

Corrugated metal.  Very bendy.  Easy to cut.  I knew I could paint it to match the cabinets and it would go along with my cottage theme right?  Here is what it looked like when it first went up.  I grabbed a can of this self etching primer.  Boy this stuff stinks.  And a warning to anyone using this....plan to sand it down like crazy.  It dries really rough.  I had to hand sand all the grooves.



After an hour of sanding the grey primer I put one coat of regular primer and two coats of the blue paint.  Then a final coat of the antique glaze I used on the cabinets.  I like it.  I like it ALOT!  My 14 year old daughter thinks it looks cool.  Score one for Mom.



No comments:

Post a Comment