Sunday, February 6, 2011

Peeling back the onion

Well, my initial plan for this trailer was to make a few repairs, decorate her and go camping.  I have seen pictures of other's projects and wondered to myself "why did they buy a trailer and then tear it all down?"  Well, now I know....because that is where I am heading very quickly.  I don't want to go there but the water damage was more than I expected and I only want to do this once. I took off the front and back skins and saw all the slats had to go.  "OK, I can do that...at least the floor is good."  Then I saw where battery acid ate through the front right corner. "OK, I can repair that....at least the sides are good."  Then I saw where 2" along the entire bottom and every seam in the side was rotted.  "Darn, I don't know if I can do THAT!"  YUK.
This is a real delimma because the Scotty has solid 1/2" plywood with laminated paneling on the inside. Anywhere I patch with not have the paneling on the inside and will be hard to hide the repair.  I'm gonna get the roof and the rest of the skin off today and see if I can pull together a suitable game plan that DOES NOT involve taking down the sides.

By the way, I honestly do not know how I would get this project done if it were not for the help of a very cool woman out in Washington who has managed to restore eleven vintage trailers!  She gives me advice and direction along the way. The internet is a wonderful resource and I met her through a vintage trailer repair forum.  There is a wealth of information out there for anyone who wants to learn. 

OK, so my favorite part of this whole project is planning the decor for the inside of the trailer.  I'm going to go for something I call "Vintage Cottage Glam".  I don't have it all worked out yet but I have pulled a lot of magazine pics that I like and they all have a common theme.  Beadboard, reflective surfaces like stainless steel, mirrors and crystals, warm variations of white with pops of turqoise (which will go well with the outside color of the trailer).  One thing I have decided...I will keep everything neutral so that I can easily change pillows and curtains with pops of color to change the look inside.  I have a long road ahead of me before I am picking out curtains but thinking about them keeps me motivated.


No comments:

Post a Comment