Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Demo Days

Well, I was hoping that I didn't have to take down the side walls but the seam staples were rusted through, the top and bottom edges of the plywood were rotted and would need replacing.  I started taking down the walls piece by piece.  This is like one giant puzzle and I can only hope that the pieces are going to fit back together once that day comes. 



I plan to go with beadboard on the side walls.  I am using Gorilla Glue and staples to layer 1/4" beadboard on top of the 1/2" plywood for the replacement walls.  It will be heavier when completed but as long as I distribute the extra weight evenly then it should not be a problem.  The next few weekends will be focused on getting all the panels built, pieced together and then cut out.  My sixteen year old son is helping....he loves using the air compressor and staple gun!  I really enjoy his company while we build.


I also have a few spots on the floor that need to be addressed.  The back corners were rotted so I have some repairs there.  The framing on the back of the trailer will also be replaced.  I have to be careful because the linoleum used in these older trailers has asbestos so sawing through it is not advised.  I have gently been peeling it back where I will be making cuts and wearing safety gear. 

I'll just tell it like it is...the roof was a flat out pain in my booty to get off.  I am only 5'4" and small so lifting it off by myself was a job.  I ended up pushing up from the inside, dog cussing the whole time, and sliding it forward little by little.  Eventually gravity pulled it on down the front end.  It will be replaced with a seamless piece of aluminum ordered from a shop in town that repairs tractor trailers.  It will cost $14 per linear foot so I estimate maybe $200 worth of aluminum all total.


I also scored some vintage coffee mugs at the local thrift store for 50 cents per mug.  Aren't they cute?  I picked up a few other cool items that I will show off in some later posts.  Gotta love Goodwill!




No comments:

Post a Comment