Tuesday, March 15, 2011

More Progress

I just opened a Shutterfly account  and posted all my pictures here http://scottyhilanderrebuild.shutterfly.com/pictures/8  I will update regularly.  You know, with a blog you really don't need a scrap book because this serves as a journal and scrapbook all in one!

Ok, so the first wall is built and I couldn't wait to get it mounted. There were a few things that had to be done before I could get it done.  For example, the black paint you see along the bottom is Herculiner.  It is a bed liner paint that will prevent water damage.  I couldn't use treated lumber with the aluminum so I had to have an alternative.  The black part attaches directly to the frame of the trailer except where the wheel will be.


Second, the seams where the plywood came together were glued with biscuit joinery but they were not strong enough to stand moving them from the garage.  The 2x4 braces worked well to stabilize them and keep them from breaking while we were mounting the wall.


I attached a 2x4 to the bottom of the frame earlier to serve as a shelf while we mounted this puppy.  It was very heavy and I only had my son to help me so having braces installed helped.


I used 2 1/2" wood screws to attach the wall to the frame in several places. I always predrill because the worst thing that can happen would be to split the frame and have to go back and replace it. The wall fit front and back so that was a good sign.  I won't know if it is exactly right until the other wall goes up, the roof goes on and the skins line up.  This is what it looked like when it was mounted.  The boards are attached to keep the wall stable and plumb while I make the second wall.  The seam boards you see on the beadboard side will be hidden when the trailer is finished.





No comments:

Post a Comment